Design and Technology
What is Design and Technology?
Design and Technology focuses on having a deep understanding of users, what they need, what they value, their abilities, and also their limitations while pairing that understanding with the most appropriate technology available today. We also take into account the business goals and objectives of the group managing the project. User Experience (UX) best practices are employed to promote improving the quality of the user’s interaction with and perceptions of your product and any related services.
As a group, we work in technology but with a distinctly different set of goals and approaches in order to address users on any platform at their distinct point of need.
- Technology are our tools, not our outcomes.
- We gauge the products of technology based upon their value to people.
- We are designers, artists, and creative developers who use technology as the tools of their craft.
- We embrace “new” and “different” as challenges and opportunities.
- We are cross-disciplinary; and able to move fluidly between tools and techniques, and adapt to new tools and techniques.
Our team develops holistic strategies for your custom application and mobile/device specific needs ranging from tailoring and designing the perfect user experience focused concisely for unique audience to choosing the best of breed technology to realize the project’s goals with the highest degree of quality.
Creative Technology Services & Process
- Ideation and Concept Design
- Industrial Design : CAD
- Fabrication : 3D printing, laser cutting, casting, etc.
- User-Centered Design : User Interface, Usability, and Design and Technology Design
- Development : Web, Mobile Web, Responsive Web, Native Mobile application development
- Information Architecture: System Design, Interaction Design, Workflow analysis
- Creative Design and Development : Virtual Reality Games and Environments, Augmented Reality, Interactive Educational Experiences
- Prototype Development : Rapid iterations for Proof of Concept production
We are proud to offer a full platform of creative services for research and clinical faculty and staff. Our services range from Design and Technology planning to brainstorming and ideation to discover what type of application or device experience may be best for a particular study. We are able to rapidly prototype and sketch workflows and application experience ideas, and present multiple possibilities tailored specifically for any one particular research endeavor. We are also able to draw upon a vast reservoir of technical expertise to find creative solutions to incorporate new and emerging technologies into research studies in novel and unique ways.
Areas of Expertise
- Native Applications – Although becoming less of a necessary option in most cases, sometimes speed and device specific features warrant an application built natively for device. These applications tend to run the fastest, but also take a longer time to create and are specific to one device platform only.
- Rich-Interactive and Games – These applications are highly-engaging and leverage game-like mechanics, in addition to animation, audio, and video, to create a higher likelihood of habitual use by the end user. Game mechanics can also be utilized on touch devices to address a young audience which may not be able to read or use a traditional a computer via a keyboard or mouse. In addition, game mechanics may be utilized to encourage certain physical motions in order to rehabilitate, train, or track reactions of children for a study. Study success is tied directly to subject participation, thus games and rich media may be a key factor which drives habitual participation in a study.
- Mobile/Desktop Web – In some cases mobile applications are not required to utilize any device specific features. In this scenario, it may be best to create an application which behaves and feels like a native application, but rather than requiring installation the application runs fully through the device’s web browser. While these types of applications cannot access most device specific features, they are simpler to deploy and update so long as the end user has a connection to the internet.
- Responsive Web Sites – Responsive web sites are standard web site experiences that adapt to mobile devices and therefore offer the optimal experience regardless of what device or web browser the user chooses to utilize. Responsive websites are not intended to replace mobile applications, but for some cases they may be ideal as they can address mobile and desktop users simultaneously.
- Data Synchronization and Administration – When utilizing an installed application to collect research data, the data must be securely transferred from the device to a central data store for analysis. Applications built by RDC can include a mechanism to synchronize data from applications to a central data store, as well as a web-based administration interface to allow for management of data and settings for a particular study.
- Computer Vision Applications – Mobile devices are becoming increasingly powerful, and in combination with the high quality cameras they offer, devices are becoming the ideal platform for on the spot image analysis. This could range from simple QR code scanning to processing images immediately on a device.